International Driving Permits

Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). IDPs are honored in more than 150 countries outside the U.S. (See AAA’s application form for the list of countries.) They function as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into 10 foreign languages. Article 24 of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (1949) authorizes the U.S. Department of State to empower certain organizations to issue IDPs to those who hold valid U.S. driver’s licenses. These permits are not intended to replace valid U.S. state licenses and should only be used as a supplement to a valid license. IDPs are not valid in an individual’s country of residence. An IDP is valid for one year from the effective date provided the state license is still valid throughout that period.

The Inter-American Driving Permit (IADP) is issued in accordance with the Organization of American States Convention on Regulation of Inter-American Automotive Traffic (Washington, 1943). The IADP is also valid for one year from the effective date provided the state license is still valid throughout that period. It is not valid for driving in the United States or its territories. IADPs must be carried along with the applicant's regular driver's license.

The Department of State has designated the American Automobile Association (AAA) as an authorized distributor of IDPs. Before departure, you can obtain an IDP or IADP by contacting your local AAA office or:

AAA (the American Automobile Association, Inc.)
1000 AAA Drive, MS 28
Heathrow, FL  32746-5063
Need additional information? Contact AAA International Relations.

How to apply for an IDP and IADP

WARNING-- International Driving Permits issued by unauthorized persons: The Department of State is aware that IDPs are being sold over the Internet and in person by persons not authorized by the Department of State pursuant to the requirements of the U.N. Convention of 1949. Moreover, many of these IDPs are being sold for large sums of money, far greater than the sum charged by entities authorized by the Department of State. Consumers experiencing problems should contact their local office of the U.S. Postal Inspector, Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Better Business Bureau, or their state or local Attorney General’s Office.

If you need additional information, please contact AAA International Relations.

If you are a AAA member, click here.