DescriptionThe site that eventually became Albany was bought in 1836 by a Connecticut man who hired surveyors to plat a town. Later that year Nelson Tift and a group of companions brought supplies up the Flint River from Apalachicola, Fla., and began to construct log buildings. The town took its name from the city in New York that also was at a river's head of navigation.
A bronze statue of Albany native Ray Charles playing his piano sits in Ray Charles Plaza on Front Street.
Visitor InfoAlbany Convention and Visitors Bureau 112 N. Front St. ALBANY, GA 31701. Phone:(229)317-4760 or (866)750-0840
Things to SeeAlbany Civil Rights Institute