DescriptionSettled on the north fork of Hubbard Creek, Albany was a supply point on the Western Trail to Dodge City. The surrounding area is known as the home of the Herefords. The town also is home to the Albany News, which was established in 1883 and contains a frontier news file open for public inspection.
The 1883 courthouse is the oldest still in use in Texas. Ledbetter Picket House, 24 S. Main St., is a dog-run cabin that was a site for supplying salt to the Confederacy. Nearby Fort Griffin is one of eight surviving frontier posts on the 650-mile Texas Forts Trail in west central Texas.
During the last two weekends in June, the Prairie Theatre on CR 1084 holds the outdoor play Fort Griffin Fandangle, which recalls the history of Fort Griffin and the founding of Albany; phone (325) 762-3838.
InfoOfficeAlbany Chamber of Commerce 2 Railroad St. ALBANY, TX 76430. Phone:(325)762-2525
Attraction PlaceHoldersFort Griffin State Historic Site