DescriptionAtakapan Indians were among the first inhabitants of the Anahuac region. By the 19th century, the bluff above the Trinity River was known as Perry's Point. A fort was built there in 1830 by a Mexican garrison under the command of Col. John Davis Bradburn, who named the installation after the ancient capital of the Aztecs. The first armed confrontation between Anglo-American and Mexican troops occurred at Anahuac in 1832, and the fort was left in ruins.
Things to SeeAnahuac National Wildlife Refuge