DescriptionOnce a hunting ground for the Potawatomi and Miami Indians, Angola was settled in the mid-1800s by pioneers who named their town after a city in New York. Angola grew as its public square became a trading place for Native Americans and farmers. Evidence of the Native Americans' presence can be found in many area fields, which yield an abundance of flint spear points and arrowheads.
Angola is a vacation center in Indiana's lake resort region, where more than 101 lakes provide recreational opportunities. Pokagon State Park is 5 miles north on SR 727.
Of interest is the Steuben County Courthouse on Public Square. Built in 1868, the courthouse is a replica of Boston's Faneuil Hall. Also on the square is the Soldiers' Monument, honoring county soldiers who served in the Civil War. Trine University is southwest.
Visitor InfoSteuben County Tourism Bureau 430 N. Wayne St., Suite 1B ANGOLA, IN 46703. Phone:(260)665-5386 or (800)525-3101