DescriptionIn the 1630s the French built Fort Anne on the south shore of the Annapolis Basin. When Great Britain took control in 1710, the name was changed to Annapolis Royal in honor of Queen Anne. Enlarged and altered by the British, the fort successfully withstood repeated French and First Nation attacks and sieges in the 1740s. Annapolis Royal was the capital of Nova Scotia from 1710 until Halifax was founded in 1749.
Along the Annapolis Basin shore, the original French dikes hold back the Bay of Fundy tides, which rise from 6 to 9 metres (20 to 30 ft.). The best place for walking along the dikes is at the Annapolis Royal Historic Gardens. An explanation of the tides' effects on the local environment is provided at the Annapolis Royal Tidal Generating Station.
St. George Street provides several examples of the town's antiquity. Among the restorations are the 1784 Robertson-McNamara House, the 1817 Runciman House and the 1922 King's Theatre. Paralleling Lower St. George Street, a waterfront walkway offers a fine view of North Mountain and the Annapolis Basin.
Visitor InfoAnnapolis Royal and Area Visitor Information Centre 236 Prince Albert Rd. ANNAPOLIS ROYAL, NS B0S 1A0. Phone:(902)532-5454
Things to SeeAnnapolis Royal Historic Gardens
Port-Royal National Historic Site