National Park Service Digital Image Archives / Wikimedia
DescriptionThree miles northeast of Appomattox on SR 24, Appomattox Court House National Historical Park is a 1,744-acre site. On April 9, 1865, Gen. Robert E. Lee's weakened and outnumbered Confederate Army of Northern Virginia was cut off at Appomattox Court House by Gen. Ulysses S. Grant. The two commanders met in the parlor of a house owned by Wilmer McLean—and the Army of Northern Virginia was surrendered to Grant.
Markers designate Grant's and Lee's headquarters, the site of the last shots fired by the Confederate artillery and infantry, and the road where the arms were laid down.
The courthouse building burned in 1892, and a new one was built at the location of the present town of Appomattox. A speculator razed the McLean House in 1893 with the intention of rebuilding it in Washington, D.C. This project failed and the materials, left exposed to the ravages of decay and souvenir hunters, soon were lost. The McLean House was reconstructed on the original site by the National Park Service.
A village of 27 structures has been restored to its 1865 appearance. Among the buildings open to visitors are Clover Hill Tavern, a county jail, a guest house, Jones Law Office, a kitchen, McLean House, Meeks General Store and Woodson Law Office.
Exterior restorations include Isbell House, Mariah Wright House and Peers House. The reconstructed courthouse serves as a visitor center and has a museum and an auditorium where audiovisual programs are shown every half-hour.
Living-history programs are presented in summer. Costumed interpreters portraying Confederate and Union soldiers and village residents answer visitors' questions. Area information is available at the park visitor center in the reconstructed courthouse and at the visitor information center in the Main Street railroad depot in the town of Appomattox.
The park and buildings are open daily 9-5. Closed Jan. 1, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Phone (434) 352-8987, ext. 226.
GEM_DESCRIPTIONA village of 27 restored buildings represents the day in 1865 when Gen. Robert E. Lee and the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia surrendered to Union general Ulysses S. Grant in the parlor of the McLean House.