In 1653 the land that is now Barrington was purchased from the Wampanoag Indians and divided among Gov. William Bradford, Capt. Miles Standish and others of the Plymouth colony. One of the first settlers was Rev. John Myles, who in 1649 founded the first Baptist church in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Many estates are nearby, particularly at Nayatt Point and Rumstick Point on Narragansett Bay.