DescriptionFounded in 1814, Belleville was named by its early French settlers. The discovery of coal in 1828 attracted many German miners. The town retains much of the Teutonic influence in language, song, festivals and architecture. Manufacturers produce a variety of goods and Scott Air Force Base is nearby.
The Emma Kunz House , 602 Fulton St., is an 1830 German street house furnished in period. The house is open for tours by appointment; phone (618) 234-0600.
Visitor InfoGreater Belleville Chamber of Commerce 216 E. A St. BELLEVILLE, IL 62220. Phone:(618)233-2015 or (800)677-9255
Self-guiding toursBrochures and walking tour maps of the historic district are available from the chamber.
Things to SeeNational Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows