DescriptionOriginally christened Edmunton in honor of Virginia governor Edmund Randolph, Beverly was later renamed after the governor's mother. The town was chartered in 1790. During the Civil War, the Battle of Rich Mountain brought the area under Union control, and federal troops occupied the town for 2 years. Beverly served as the county seat until 1899, when the Western Maryland Railroad established the community of Elkins to the north.
Visitor InfoRich Mountain/Historic Beverly Visitor Center 4 Court St. BEVERLY, WV 26253. Phone:(304)637-7424
Self-guiding toursA self-guiding walking tour brochure of the Beverly historic district and a driving tour of Civil War sites along the Beverly-Fairmont Turnpike are available from the visitor center on the town square.
Things to SeeBeverly Heritage Center