DescriptionBrookville was settled about 1800 when Moses Knapp built a mill at the confluence of the North Fork and the Sandy Lick. Growth was slow, but in 1830 the town was named the county seat and settlement began in earnest. Between 1865 and 1874 Brookville had a thriving lumber industry and supplied all the lumber markets in Pittsburgh and along the Ohio. The arrival of the railroad in 1874 augmented industrial and commercial development.
Many of the town's 19th-century buildings have been preserved. Two such buildings are the 1867 three-story Greek Revival and Victorian Jefferson County Courthouse, Main and Pickering streets, and the Marlin Opera House, a 900-seat Italianate hall, which was in use 1884-1902.
Visitor InfoPA Great Outdoors Visitors Bureau 2801 Maplevale Rd. BROOKVILLE, PA 15825. Phone:(814)849-5197
Self-guiding toursMaps detailing a walking tour of the historic district are available at the visitors bureau.
Things to SeeJefferson County History Center