DescriptionSituated on Hwy. 17 about 65 kilometres (41 mi.) east of Sault Ste. Marie, Bruce Mines, founded in 1846, was named after the first Governor General of Canada, James Bruce, the eighth Earl of Elgin. The first settlers were Cornish miners whose determination made the site the first successful copper mine in Canada. The town offers waterfront parks and opportunities for bicycling, boating, fishing, hiking, cross-country skiing and snowmobiling.
The full-service marina can accommodate up to 40 vessels daily, May through Labour Day and on weekends until late September; phone (705) 785-3201 or (705) 785-3493 for the town office in the off-season.
Visitor InfoThe Corporation of the Town of Bruce Mines 9126 Hwy. 17 E. BRUCE MINES, ON P0R 1C0. Phone:(705)785-3493
Self-guiding toursInformation about a self-guiding walking tour of the town is available at The Corporation of the Town of Bruce Mines.
Things to SeeSimpson Copper Mineshaft