DescriptionOne of the first permanent settlements in the western part of the colony, Burlington was established by members of the Society of Friends in 1677. It became the capital of West Jersey and shared that status with Perth Amboy after East and West Jersey united. A strategic location on the Delaware River between Trenton and Camden made the flourishing port so prosperous that its citizens—primarily Quaker settlers and pacifists—were relatively uninvolved in the Revolution.
Venerable buildings that are open to the public by appointment include the 1703 Old St. Mary's Church, at Broad and Wood streets; the 1685 Revell House, in the 200 block of Wood Street; the 1785 Friends Meeting House, on High Street near Broad Street; the 1797 John Hoskins House, 202 High St.; the 1792 Friends School, at York and Penn streets; and the restored carriage house on Smith's Alley between High and Wood streets.
InfoOfficeBurlington County Regional Chamber of Commerce 520 Fellowship Rd., Suite E502 MOUNT LAUREL, NJ 08054. Phone:(856)439-2520
Attraction PlaceHoldersBurlington County Historical Society Complex