DescriptionCahokia was founded in 1699 by three missionaries from Québec. Its location along three rivers made it a center of commerce for the region by the mid-1700s. At the end of the French and Indian War in 1763, when this area was ceded to Great Britain, many citizens uneasy about the possibility of a British occupation moved across the Mississippi River and were instrumental in helping found St. Louis.
With the onset of the American Revolution, George Rogers Clark and his troops from Virginia occupied Cahokia, recruited a militia and organized a campaign against British forces at Vincennes, Ind. The settlement remained a British outpost until 1778. The first election for chief magistrates in Illinois was held in Cahokia, which helped establish a sense of peace and order in a territory otherwise characterized by lawlessness.
The Jarrot Mansion, 124 E. First St., was completed in 1810 and is one of the oldest brick buildings in the mid-Mississippi River Valley. The mansion is open to the public for guided tours by reservation only; phone (618) 332-1782.
Visitor InfoCahokia Area Chamber of Commerce No physical address available CAHOKIA, IL 62206. Phone:(618)337-9500
Things to SeeCahokia Courthouse State Historic Site
Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site