DescriptionCamden, the oldest inland town in the state, has roots dating to the 1730s, and Irish Quakers arrived in the early 1750s. The town was called Fredericksburg and Pine Tree Hill before being changed in 1768 to honor Lord Camden, a friend of the Colonies.
More than a dozen Revolutionary War battles, including the Battle of Camden and the Battle of Hobkirk Hill, were fought within 30 miles of Camden. On May 8, 1781, the British evacuated Camden after burning most of it.
Bethesda Presbyterian Church, 502 DeKalb St., was designed in 1822 by Robert Mills, the architect of the Washington Monument. A granite monument in front of the church is dedicated to Baron DeKalb, a Revolutionary War soldier of Austrian descent killed in the Battle of Camden. The cornerstone was laid by the Marquis de Lafayette in 1825. Another memorial, Monument Square at Broad and Laurens streets, honors Camden's six Confederate generals.
Springdale Race Course hosts two steeplechases; the Carolina Cup and the Colonial Cup are held in early April. Camden's polo field and 200 miles of bridle paths and country roads also lure equestrians.
Visitor InfoKershaw County Chamber of Commerce 607 S. Broad St. CAMDEN, SC 29020. Phone:(803)432-2525
Self-guiding toursA booklet detailing a driving tour past 63 historic sites, some of which are open to the public, is available from Historic Camden Revolutionary War Site, Camden Archives and Museum and the chamber of commerce for a cost of $5.
Things to SeeCamden Archives and Museum