DescriptionOn Sept. 3, 1844, Henri Castro led Alsatian emigrants to this tranquil, tree-shaded area along the Medina River. Castro was consul general for the Republic of Texas in France and contracted with the French government to establish the settlement. With a guarantee of a town lot and 40 acres to farm, French settlers transformed the area into an independent farming center with its own gristmill and cotton gin.
Visitor InfoCastroville Area Chamber of Commerce 1115 Angelo St. CASTROVILLE, TX 78009. Phone:(830)538-3142 or (800)778-6775
Self-guiding toursInformation about a walking tour of historic homes and buildings is available from the chamber of commerce.
Things to SeeLandmark Inn State Historic Site