DescriptionIn 1856 settlers from Milford, Mass., established Cherokee north of the present city. In 1870 when the railroad was built through the county, residents abandoned their homes and re-established themselves near the new station. Cherokee became one of the state's largest livestock centers for hogs and cattle. Several parks on the Little Sioux River offer recreational opportunities. Located on Fourth Street, 1896 depot offers photographs, artifacts and a model train display. An audio tour by cellphone is available and the depot is open by appointment; phone (712) 225-6414.
Visitor InfoCherokee Chamber of Commerce 201 W. Main St. CHEROKEE, IA 51012. Phone:(712)225-6414
Things to SeeSanford Museum and Planetarium