DescriptionClemson was known as Calhoun when incorporated in 1892, then renamed in the 1940s. Land titles can be traced to relatives of John C. Calhoun, supporting one theory about the origin of the town name.
By the 1893 opening of the military-style Clemson Agricultural College, now Clemson University, Calhoun already had established itself as one of Pickens County's most important towns, boasting a railroad depot, cotton mill and general store as well as several boarding houses. Clemson's Old Calhoun District features historic buildings.
Things to SeeClemson University