DescriptionThe busy port of Coos Bay was founded in 1854 by J.C. Tolman of the Coos Bay Co. The town, originally named Marshfield after Tolman's hometown in Massachusetts, was renamed Coos Bay by referendum in 1944. Coos Bay is one of the world's largest ports for forest products, particularly wood chips.
Coos Bay Boardwalk, on the downtown waterfront along Bayshore Drive at the foot of Anderson Avenue, features a wooden walkway overlooking the public boat docks. Interpretive displays document the bay’s natural and human history, emphasizing transportation. A covered area houses the historic wooden tug Koos, with interpretive panels about tugboats.
The Marshfield Sun Printing Museum, 1049 N. Front St., is in the city's historic waterfront industrial district. The former newspaper office displays antique printing presses and historic photos; phone (541) 266-0901.
Oregon Coast Historical Railway Museum, on the south side of Coos Bay at 766 S. First St., has an outdoor display of rolling stock including a 1922 Baldwin steam locomotive, a 1949 Alco S-2 diesel-electric switcher and a 1942 Southern Pacific caboose. A small museum houses historic photos and other railroad-related items; phone (541) 297-6130.
Coos Bay straddles scenic US 101, which winds past Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area just north of town and continues along the Oregon coast to Florence.
Visitor InfoCoos Bay Visitor Information Center 50 Central Ave. COOS BAY, OR 97420. Phone:(541)269-0215 or (800)824-8486
Self-guiding toursBrochures describing self-guiding hiking, biking, walking and driving tours as well as charter boat tours are available at the visitor information center.
Things to SeeCoos Art Museum
The Mill Casino Hotel & RV Park