DescriptionA way station constructed of cottonwood logs was established here in 1862 amid the rolling uplands of the Camas Prairie. During July 3-5, 1877, the area southeast of Cottonwood was the scene of several skirmishes between the Nez Perce and U.S. Cavalry troops and scouts. State interpretive markers give details of the battles.
The Camas Prairie Railroad's 66-mile Second Subdivision passes through Cottonwood. Opened in 1908 to transport the prairie's agricultural bounty, it was known as the “Railroad on Stilts” for its numerous trestles, some of the nation's tallest. Many can be seen from US 95. The line was abandoned in 2000.
Near the northern entrance to the town is a structure shaped like a dog and known as the World's Biggest Beagle.
Visitor InfoCottonwood Chamber of Commerce Address not available COTTONWOOD, ID . Phone:(208)962-3231
Things to SeeHistorical Museum at St. Gertrude