DescriptionCumberland took its name in 1787 from Fort Cumberland, the headquarters for Gen. Edward Braddock and Lt. George Washington during the French and Indian War. The one-room headquarters, where 21-year-old Washington assumed his first military command, is the only surviving structure of Fort Cumberland.
Cumberland developed as a transportation center after it was made the western terminus of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal and the eastern terminus of the National Road—what is now alternate US 40. The first road built with federal funds, the National Road passed through the Cumberland Narrows—a natural gateway through the Appalachian Mountains into the Ohio Valley—and for a time was the main route to the Northwest Territory.
When Cumberland was at its economic peak during the late 19th century, coal and rail barons lived in ornate mansions along Washington Street. Many of these homes, which range in style from Federal to Georgian Revival, have been restored.
Visitor InfoAllegany County Tourism 13 Canal St. CUMBERLAND, MD 21502. Phone:(301)777-5138
ShoppingDowntown Cumberland, a brick-lined pedestrian mall with fountains and small parks, contains shops and eateries in restored early 20th-century buildings.
Self-guiding toursTour brochures of the Fort Cumberland Walking Trail as well as walking and driving brochures of the Washington Street Historic District are available at the tourism office.
Things to SeeAllegany Museum
Summer ActivitiesGet Out & Play Outfitters