DescriptionDouglas was platted in 1858 on 50 acres of land donated by J. S. Pearson and named for Stephen A. Douglas, a presidential candidate running against Abraham Lincoln. Douglas, the seat of Coffee County, has a bustling downtown and a thriving economy with a strong industrial and agricultural influence. Recreational opportunities abound in nearby General Coffee State Park.
More than 500 species of plants native to Georgia may be seen at Broxton Rocks Preserve. Guided hikes of the site are provided and require a reservation; phone (404) 873-6946.
Visitor InfoDouglas Visitor Information Center 211 S. Gaskin Ave. DOUGLAS, GA 31533. Phone:(912)384-4555