DescriptionPart of the rocky Manitoulin archipelago that separates Georgian Bay and the North Channel from the rest of Lake Huron, Drummond Island lies off the eastern tip of the Upper Peninsula at the mouth of the St. Marys River.
When the treaty ending the War of 1812 ousted the British from Mackinac Island, they re-established their garrison on the southwest promontory of Drummond Island, despite the fact that the boundary through the archipelago was still indefinite. British attempts to obtain the island failed, and in 1828 the Union Jack was lowered.
Anglers, boaters, hunters and vacationers are drawn to this cliff-bound, deeply indented wilderness isle. Its woodlands harbor deer, grouse and rabbits; duck hunting is particularly good. From the bays and inlets come bass, northern pike, yellow perch and walleye. Hiking in the summer and snowmobiling in the winter are favorite pastimes along the forest trails. Dolomite quarries augment the economy. The island is accessible by automobile ferry from De Tour Village on SR 134.
Things to SeeDrummond Island Historical Museum