DescriptionEureka lies along US 50 at the southern end of scenic SR 278. During the town's heyday in the 1870s, its lead-based economy and the attendant smelters led the town to be called the “Pittsburgh of the West.” The population, which at one point reached nearly 11,000, supported 100 saloons, several newspapers, hotels, an opera house, five fire companies and a brass band.
The renovated Eureka Opera House, 31 S. Main St., which dates from 1880, presents a variety of cultural shows and serves as a convention, visitor and cultural arts center. The Eureka County Courthouse, at Ruby Hill Avenue and Main Street, typifies late 19th-century architecture. Completed in 1880, it features a large upstairs courtroom with a bench made of imported Spanish cedar. Rotating art exhibits can be viewed in the south hall. The courthouse is still in use today. Phone (775) 237-6006 for opera house and courthouse visitor information.
Eureka Sentinel Museum, at Bateman and Monroe streets, houses the original printing equipment of the newspaper, which began operations in 1870. It also exhibits mining and railroad displays, prints from the 1800s and articles from the Knobb Hill Firehouse; phone (775) 237-5010.
Visitor InfoEureka County Tourism 31 S. Main St. EUREKA, NV 89316. Phone:(775)237-6006
Self-guiding toursA walking tour map containing descriptions of the town's historic sites is available at the Springer Opera House and from a kiosk located at 11 N. Main St.