DescriptionBristol was originally inhabited by the Maliseet Indians, who called it Shiktehawk. The name was changed to Bristol when the New Brunswick Railway was built along the banks of the Saint John River in the 1870s. Florenceville, also on the Saint John River, was originally called Buttermilk Creek; the name was changed in the 1850s to honor Florence Nightingale. In 2008 the villages merged and became the town of Florenceville-Bristol.
Locally referred to as the “French Fry Capital of the World,” Florenceville-Bristol is the headquarters of McCain Foods, reputedly the world's largest producer of french fries. If you're hungry, a visit to the café at the Potato World Museum is definitely in order. Appropriately, the menu features many spud variations, from potato soup and potato salad to five unusual varieties of fries.
Off Route 103, the well-preserved, covered Florenceville Bridge was built in 1885 and crosses the Saint John River. Picnicking near the riverbank is an enjoyable way to spend a summer afternoon.
Things to SeeAndrew and Laura McCain Art Gallery