DescriptionFort Frederica National Monument is on St. Simons Island, which is reached from the mainland via the F.J. Torras Causeway.
In 1736 Gen. James E. Oglethorpe began construction of an earthwork that became one of the most important British fortifications in America. Next to the fort he laid out the town of Frederica. The settlement and fort were vital in the defense of English interests in the conflict with Spain that erupted in 1739.
On July 7, 1742, the Battle of Bloody Marsh settled the fighting. The entire Colony of Georgia remained under English rule. The Bloody Marsh Memorial Site, a separate area 6 miles south, is open daily 8:30-4.
Oglethorpe's regiment disbanded in 1749, ruining Frederica's economy. A fire in 1758 destroyed most of the town, and the last soldiers left the fort in 1763. Ruins lie atop a bluff on the island's western shore overlooking the Frederica River, and foundations of original houses have been uncovered. Field exhibits explain features of the area.
A visitor center houses pictorial panels, a diorama and artifacts pertaining to Frederica. A historical film is shown every 30 minutes. Self-guiding and audio tours are available. Allow 1 hour, 30 minutes minimum. Daily 9-5. Closed Jan. 1, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Free. Phone (912) 638-3639.