DescriptionOne of the first permanent settlements in Idaho, Fort Hall was established as a trading post on the banks of the Snake River in 1834. Later owned by the Hudson's Bay Co., the trading post was abandoned in 1856 due to increased hostility with Native Americans and a decline in fur trading.
In 1864 a stage station was constructed a short distance southeast of Fort Hall. Built on the banks of Spring Creek with materials from this original fort, this post also was known as Fort Hall. In 1868 a treaty established the Fort Hall Indian Reservation, and agency offices some 20 miles east of the original post also were identified as Fort Hall. Today the Fort Hall Indian Reservation has its headquarters east of the town site on US 91. Guided tours of historic Fort Hall, which must be reserved in advance, can be arranged through the Shoshone-Bannock Tribal Museum.
Things to SeeShoshone-Bannock Tribal Museum
GAMBLING ESTABLISHMENTSFort Hall Casino