DescriptionThe 81-hectare (200-acre) Fort Lennox National Historic Site (Lieu historique national du Fort-Lennox) is accessible via St-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix, about 19 km (12 mi.) s. of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu. The well-preserved buildings of Fort Lennox, one of the largest forts built in Canada, sit at the south end of Île aux Noix on the Richelieu River. The island is reached by ferry, which departs from the visitor center on the mainland every 30 minutes on the quarter-hour.
The first fortifications were begun by the French in 1759 during the Seven Years' War to resist the advance of the British, who captured and destroyed the fort the following year. In 1775 the island was occupied by American troops under generals Richard Montgomery and Philip Schuyler. After the Americans evacuated the island in 1776, the British built stronger fortifications. During the War of 1812, the British established a shipyard and the island became a naval base.
Between 1819 and 1829 a new fort was constructed; the complex was named for Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond. The fort was garrisoned for many years, but the British finally abandoned it in 1870. Among the massive stone buildings are the officers' quarters, guardhouse, powder magazine, barracks and commissary. Narrated tours are available. Picnicking is permitted.
Daily 10-6, June 21-Sept. 1; Wed.-Sun. and holiday Mon. 10-5, May 17-June 20; Fri.-Sun. and holiday Mon. 10-5, Sept. 5 to mid-Oct. Phone ahead to confirm schedule. Admission is free in 2017 to celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation. Otherwise admission is $6.78; $5.83 (ages 66+); $3.39 (ages 6-16); $16.96 (family). Beginning in 2018, admission will be free for ages 0-17. Prices may vary. Phone (450) 291-5700 or (888) 773-8888.
There have been fortifications on this site since 1759.