DescriptionIn 1874 at the end of their 1,126-kilometre (700-mi.) march through the prairie wilderness to rid western Canada of whiskey traders, the North West Mounted Police, now the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, chose the site of what is now Fort Macleod as their first headquarters.
A commanding view of the countryside and the natural protection afforded by the Oldman River made Fort Macleod an important outpost; a cairn at 2nd Avenue and 25th Street commemorates the fort's founding. Guided walking tours of the historic district, ranging from 30 minutes to 1 hour, can be arranged in advance during the summer by contacting The Fort Museum; phone (403) 553-4703.
The highland physical geography that made the Fort Macleod outpost successful also helped the Plains people survive long before the first traders appeared in the area. In order to kill the buffalo for food, the Plains hunters stampeded them over the high cliffs.
Self-guiding toursA brochure describing a self-guiding tour of the Fort Macleod historic district is available at The Fort Museum, 219 25th St.
Attraction PlaceHoldersThe Fort Museum