DescriptionBuilt in 1808 as a frontier defense post and named after President James Madison, Fort Madison was abandoned and set afire after repeated Native American attacks. The railroad later transformed the town into a bustling Mississippi River transport center. The business district has a late Victorian flavor, while Lee County Courthouse on Avenue F is an example of Greek Revival architecture.
Visitor InfoCity of Fort Madison 811 Avenue E FORT MADISON, IA 52627. Phone:(319)372-7700
Things to SeeOld Fort Madison