DescriptionWith the 1874 signing of Treaty Number IV, representatives of the Cree and Saulteaux First Nations gave away their legal right to vast tracts of southern Saskatchewan; near the center of Fort Qu'Appelle (kwah-PELL) a cairn marks the site of the signing. The fort for which the town is named was built in 1864 mainly for use as a trading post.
Fort Qu'Appelle is on the Qu'Appelle River, situated in a broad, fertile valley. Berry bushes are grown on the valley's moist, north-facing slopes; in spring the dry, south-facing slopes are carpeted with wildflowers. Hawks soar above the valley floor, while pelicans, herons, ducks and geese nest in riverside marshlands. Near Fort Qu'Appelle the river widens into a chain of lakes.
The unusual name is the French translation of the Cree word catabuysepu, or “the river that calls.” According to First Nations legend, the river was haunted by a spirit that could be heard crying as it moved up and down the water.
Also taking its name from this Cree expression is nearby Katepwa Point Provincial Park, a lakeside recreation area offering day-use facilities. West of town is Echo Valley Provincial Park, with beaches fronting two lakes, a mini-golf course and volleyball courts.
Visitor InfoFort Qu'Appelle Chamber of Commerce Address not available FORT QU'APPELLE, SK . Phone:(306)332-5717
Things to SeeFish Culture Station