DescriptionEstablished in 1804 at the fork of the Mackenzie and Liard rivers, Fort Simpson is the oldest continuously occupied trading post in the Mackenzie River Valley. Once a district headquarters for Hudson's Bay Co., the town developed into a center of river trade. Originally Fort of the Forks, the town was renamed to honor Thomas Simpson, first governor of the merged Northwest and Hudson's Bay companies.
Fort Simpson has always been a gathering place for people. It serves as a center for territorial government administration and oil and mining exploration. It also serves as a departure point for air, raft and canoe trips into Nahanni National Park Reserve. A visitor center offers interpretive films, historical walking tours and a native crafts display; phone (867) 695-7750.
Visitor InfoThe Village of Fort Simpson Tourist Information Centre Address not available FORT SIMPSON, NT . Phone:(867)695-3182