DescriptionFort Ticonderoga is at 100 Fort Ti Rd., SR 74 East, 1 mile off SR 22; a half-mile-long driveway leads to the site entrance. Fort Ticonderoga played a pivotal role in both the French and Indian War and the American Revolution. Originally built by the French in 1755 to control the narrow shipping point on Lake Champlain, it was captured by British forces in 1759.
In 1775 Ethan Allen and his Green Mountain Boys, along with Benedict Arnold, took the fort from the British in a bloodless surprise attack in 1775, the first victory of the American Revolution. The cannons from the fort were taken to Boston by Col. Henry Knox and were instrumental in persuading the British to evacuate the city in 1777.
The fort is fully restored on the original foundations and according to the French plans, and has a significant collection of 18th-century artifacts, writings and artwork. The King's Garden, on the Lake Champlain shoreline, is a restored, walled formal garden, circa 1920, that also features demonstration gardens showing how 18th-century troops and Native Americans grew their food. Picnicking is permitted in the garden.
Both French and British influence is evident in the site's walls, the exhibits on display, the various demonstrations of daily fort activities and on guided tours given by costumed interpreters. Bilingual signage provides interpretation of the exhibits.
Fort open daily 9:30-5, May 10-Oct. 31. Last admission to fort 30 minutes before closing. King's Garden open daily 9:30-5, June 1-Columbus Day. Cannon firings and Fife & Drum Corps performances are offered July-Aug. Admission late May to mid-Sept. $23; $21 (ages 60+); $8 (ages 5-12). Admission rest of year $21; $19.50 (ages 60+); $9 (ages 5-12). Fort Ticonderoga National Historic Landmark, Mount Defiance and MV Carillon $41.95; $39.95 (ages 65+); $24.95 (ages 5-12). Phone (518) 585-2821.
GEM DescriptionThe fort's strategic position on Lake Champlain led to its constant changes in ownership—from the French to the British to the Americans and back to the British; now restored, it has a museum with period artifacts.