Built in 1790, the Nathan Denison House is 1 mile north via Wyoming Avenue at 35 Denison St. The house was built by Nathan Denison, a Revolutionary War colonel and later a Luzerne County judge. His 1717 ancestral homestead is in Mystic, Conn.
Col. Denison was among the first 40 settlers, for whom the Forty Fort settlement was named. Denison's property is considered to be the oldest frame dwelling in the Wyoming Valley. The restored house is mostly furnished with authentic 18th-century pieces. Events and programs of historical interest are presented throughout the year, concluding with an afternoon of Colonial hospitality in December. The house is open Sundays 1-4, Memorial Day weekend through September. Guided tours are available. Phone (570) 823-6244, ext. 3 for appointments or events information.
The 1807 Forty Fort Meeting House , 20 River St., was built by New England settlers from the Congregationalist, Presbyterian and Methodist congregations and was in use until the late 1840s. A cemetery dating to the late 18th century also is on the grounds; Col. Nathan Denison is among those interred here. The site is open Sundays and holidays 1-3 from Memorial Day weekend through late September; phone (570) 287-5214 to confirm schedule or to set up a tour by appointment.