DescriptionFostoria was created when the two small villages of Risdon and Rome were unified in 1854. The new town was named in honor of C.W. Foster, a prominent pioneer whose son Charles later became governor of Ohio and secretary of the U.S. Treasury.
During the late 19th- and early 20th centuries, Fostoria was the home of several glass manufacturing plants. Although their furnaces are now cold, the local glass companies and the craftsmanship for which they were known are remembered at Glass Heritage Gallery at 109 N. Main St.; phone (419) 435-5077.