DescriptionThe second permanent settlement in the Northwest Territory, Gallipolis (gal-a-po-LEES), meaning “the city of the Gauls,” was founded in 1790 by French Royalists who were fleeing the French Revolution.
The city park overlooking the Ohio River is the original settlement of the “French 500”; it was known then as Le Place. The town's heritage is evident in the old houses surrounding the park.
Fortification Hill, in Mound Hill Cemetery, offers a view of Gallipolis and the Ohio River Valley to the hills of West Virginia. French Art Colony, 530 1st Ave., is a multicultural arts center housed in an 1855 Greek Revival house; phone (740) 446-3834.
Visitor InfoGallia County Convention and Visitors Bureau 441 Second Ave. GALLIPOLIS, OH 45631. Phone:(740)446-6882 or (800)765-6482
Things to SeeOur House Tavern