DescriptionGerrardstown, in the Eastern Panhandle, was first settled in 1742 by 14 Baptist families from New Jersey. In 1787 the town was founded and named for the Rev. David Gerrard, who enlarged the town by platting 100 lots of his own property to be sold to new settlers. The many older buildings in the village have led to its being described as “a 19th-century community restored.”
Gerrard House, in the center of the village, is one of the oldest known buildings in West Virginia. Built in 1743 by John Hays, it was later the home of David Gerrard. The two-story stone house, heavily constructed for protection not only from the elements but also from the Native Americans, retains much of its original woodwork; it is not open to the public. For additional information contact the Berkeley County Historical Society at (304) 267-4713.