DescriptionThe alpine resort community of Government Camp is on the south flanks of Mt. Hood, surrounded by forests of fir, hemlock, cedar and pine. After federal soldiers used the site to store wagons in the winter of 1849, the area was called “the government camp in the mountains.” The first settlers arrived in 1900 and a hotel opened in 1911. The highway reached the area in 1920 and was extended around the mountain to Hood River in 1926. This road now forms the Mt. Hood National Scenic Byway.
The Northwest’s first ski area opened just east of Government Camp in 1927; the Summit Ski Area, with one T-bar and one double chair, is still operating. The Oregon Trail Kiosk, at Government Camp Loop Road and E. Little Trail, has displays about the Barlow Road, a wagon road opened in 1846, connecting the Oregon Trail at The Dalles with the Willamette Valley.
Things to SeeMt. Hood Cultural Center & Museum
SkiingMt. Hood Skibowl