DescriptionOriginally known to pioneers as Great Bend, Grand Detour is in a horseshoe bend on the Rock River. Having laid out the village in 1834, Maj. Leonard Andrus of Vermont began construction of a dam to facilitate the operation of saw and flour mills. In 1837 John Deere, also of Vermont, settled in the village and developed the steel plow for which he became known.
Andrus and Deere formed a partnership in 1843 and began the state's first plow factory, one of the oldest major manufacturers in the state and one of the largest producers of farm implements in the world.
A scenic stretch of SR 2 parallels Rock River, passing through Grand Detour along its route from Rockford 41 miles southwest to Dixon.
Things to SeeJohn Deere Historic Site