Although Adriaen Block established the first settlement in Greenwich in 1614, a permanent community did not come about until 1640, when the land was purchased from the original inhabitants for 25 coats. That land now is graced by large houses with commensurate price tags.
Putnam Cottage, 243 E. Putnam Ave., is where Gen. Israel Putnam escaped from the British in 1779. The cottage has been restored to the Colonial and Revolutionary appearance of its early Knapp Tavern days and contains 17th- and 18th-century furniture, decorative objects and Putnam memorabilia; phone (203) 869-9697 for tour information.
Greenwich Chamber of Commerce 45 E. Putnam Ave. GREENWICH, CT 06830. Phone:(203)869-3500