DescriptionAs the focal point of the 1889 Oklahoma land rush, Guthrie became a tent city of 15,000 residents by nightfall on April 22, 1889, the day the Unassigned Lands of Oklahoma were officially opened for settlement. Oklahoma was admitted to the Union in 1907, and Guthrie became the first capital of the state. At some point in their lives, Lon Chaney, Tom Mix, Carry Nation and Will Rogers all lived in Guthrie.
Ninety percent of Guthrie's original buildings remain intact; the city has one of the largest districts on the National Register of Historic Places. Belgian-born architect Joseph Foucart designed most of the town's eclectic Victorian structures.
The Pollard Theater, a renovated early 20th-century opera house at 120 W. Harrison Ave., presents productions performed by Guthrie's resident theater company. Houses dating from Guthrie's territorial and early statehood days line E. Harrison, Oklahoma, Cleveland, Noble and Warner streets. Trolley tours of the historic district depart from the intersection of 2nd and Harrison on Saturdays at noon and 2; phone (405) 282-6000.
InfoOfficeGuthrie Convention and Visitors Bureau 101 N. 2nd St. GUTHRIE, OK 73044. Phone:(405)282-0197
Attraction PlaceHoldersOklahoma Frontier Drugstore Museum