DescriptionHailey, laid out in the spring of 1881 by John Hailey, was the center of a rich mining district in its early days. An early Northwest pioneer, Hailey had previously taken part in the Boise Basin Gold Rush in 1862 and had established a name for himself as the owner of a stage and freight line. Fortunes in gold, silver and lead were extracted from mines with such names as Black Cinder, Star, Hope, Climax, Democrat and Big Camas until the mining boom played out in the late 1890s.
On May 7, 1883, Hailey residents witnessed the driving of the last spike of the Wood River branch of the Oregon Short Line. In October of that year the Idaho Territory's first telephone exchange went into use at Hailey. Hailey also was the first to have an electric light plant.
Passing through the community are the Big Wood River and a system of paved recreational trails. Surrounded by Sawtooth National Recreation Area, Hailey offers a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking, bicycling and cross-country skiing.
Visitor InfoHailey Chamber of Commerce/Welcome Center 781 Main St. S. HAILEY, ID 83333. Phone:(208)788-3484
Self-guiding toursBrochures describing a self-guiding walking tour of Hailey's historic area are available at the chamber of commerce.
Things to SeeBlaine County Historical Museum