DescriptionOriginally located a mile west, Hanley Falls was moved to a new town site just before the arrival of the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroad in 1884. The Great Northern Railroad tracks reached town 4 years later.
To benefit their businesses, customers of both railroads unsuccessfully petitioned for a transfer track between the two lines; it took a Supreme Court order in 1901 to get the track installed. One of the first in the country, the transfer track is known as the “Y.” Still in use, the track facilitates the loading and shipping of grain to markets throughout the nation.
Attraction PlaceHoldersMinnesota's Machinery Museum