DescriptionFounded in 1774 by James Harrod, Harrodsburg was the first permanent English settlement west of the Allegheny Mountains. Several buildings date back to the 18th century. Probably the oldest existing group of row houses west of the Alleghenies is the 1807 Morgan Row, on S. Chiles Street. During the 19th century Harrodsburg was a popular gathering spot for those eager to partake of the local mineral springs and visit the spas that were known for their gala entertainment.
InfoOfficeHarrodsburg/Mercer County Tourist Commission 488 Price Ave. HARRODSBURG, KY 40330. Phone:(859)734-2364 or (800)355-9192
Self-guiding toursMaps for a self-guiding walking and driving tour of Harrodsburg are available at the Diamond Point Welcome Center at 488 Price Ave. Among the tour's features are the 1800 Old Mud Meeting House, the first Dutch reformed church building west of the Allegheny Mountains; antebellum homes; the Bataan War Memorial, dedicated to soldiers who died in the Philippines during World War II; and other historic structures and sites associated with the springs that made Harrodsburg the “Saratoga of the South.”
Attraction PlaceHoldersOld Fort Harrod State Park