DescriptionEvocations of Hertford’s past materialize the moment you encounter the town's historic “S”-shaped swing bridge. Spanning the Perquimans River and providing access to town from the north via US 17 Bus. Rte., it was built in 1928, replacing a late 18th-century drawbridge. So named because the road is at a skew to the river and the center span is perpendicular, the bridge's approaches are curved rather than straight. Over time, however, the bridge has deteriorated, and weight limits have been reduced.
Quakers arrived in Perquimans County from England in the 1600s. In 1672 the settlers assembled in Hertford to take part in North Carolina's first documented religious observance. The Edmundson-Fox Memorial at the corner of Church and Newby streets commemorates this event.
Hertford is a peaceful coastal community of tree-shaded thoroughfares, tranquil riverfront parks and neat rows of Colonial Revival and Queen Anne-style houses. A fine example of Gothic Revival architecture, the Church of the Holy Trinity (207 S. Church St.) was constructed in 1848 and still has an active congregation; phone (252) 426-5542. The Federal-style Perquimans County Courthouse (128 N. Church St.) has a courtroom that looks straight out of the early 19th century.
The Jim “Catfish” Hunter Museum, located in the chamber building at 118 W. Market St., honors legendary baseball pitcher and Hertford native Jim “Catfish” Hunter; admission is free. The hall-of-famer was laid to rest in nearby Cedarwood Cemetery.
With some 100 miles of coastline, the Perquimans River is a boating, canoeing, picnicking, kayaking and fishing hot spot. At Missing Mill Park, on Grubb Street within walking distance of downtown, you can picnic, fish from a sheltered pier, stroll along a nature boardwalk, launch a canoe or relax at the water's edge and watch the sunset.
The long-running Indian Summer Festival, complete with children's games, entertainment, crafts and music, takes place over two days in September.
Visitor InfoPerquimans County Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center 118 W. Market St. HERTFORD, NC 27944. Phone:(252)426-5657
Self-guiding toursInformation about walking tours of the historic downtown area are available at the visitor center.
ShoppingDowntown Hertford is home to several antique shops, gift shops and cafes along Church Street and US 17. The Perquimans Arts League Gallery, in the Hall of Fame Building at 109 N. Church St., has works by local artists available for purchase; phone (252) 426-3041. An old-fashioned soda fountain inside Woodard's Pharmacy (101 N. Church St.) serves hand-dipped ice cream cones; phone (252) 426-5527.
Things to SeeNewbold-White House