DescriptionGerman settlers from Pennsylvania were the first to immigrate to the west bank of the Petitcodiac River, arriving in 1766 and naming the community Dutch Village. Two decades later the town was renamed to honor an early administrator, Lord Hillsborough.
Clapboard houses along the waterfront road to Moncton evoke images of the 19th century, when wives would pace widow's walks waiting for husbands to return home from stints on sailing ships. Hillsborough is at the eastern end of a scenic stretch of Hwy. 114, which runs 205 kilometres (127 mi.) from Penobsquis, continuing through Fundy National Park and then up Chignecto Bay.
Things to SeeNew Brunswick Railway Museum