DescriptionAlthough it lies miles from the silver and gold lodes discovered in the region during the mid-1800s, Idaho Falls owes its formation to these riches. The settlement—originally called Taylor's Crossing—was established about 1860 along one of the few fording points on the upper Snake River. J.M. Taylor's ferry attracted many miners en route to Montana from Salt Lake City.
As the veins of precious metal diminished, transients and disillusioned residents abandoned the area. The few remaining settlers, faced with either adopting a new livelihood or adding the community to the growing list of Western ghost towns, dug channels to irrigate the arid land. Soon the town flourished along with the newly established agriculture. The irrigation system that saved the town now provides water to more than 1 million acres of farmland.
Tautphaus Park has sports facilities, picnic grounds, amusement rides and a zoo. Sandy Downs, 2 miles south of 17th Street on St. Clair Road, is the site of various recreational activities.
Visitor InfoGreater Idaho Falls Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Center 425 N. Capital Ave., IDAHO FALLS, ID 83402. Phone:(208)523-1010 or (866)365-6943
Things to SeeThe Art Museum of Eastern Idaho