DescriptionÎle d'Orléans (Orleans Island), in the St. Lawrence River and reached by bridge from Hwy. 138, contains churches built by the French. Continuously inhabited since the 17th century, the island was originally called Île de Bacchus after the Roman god of wine and revelry because of the number of wild grapes that grew in the vicinity.
The early 18th-century churches, along with mills and houses of the same period, create an atmosphere reminiscent of old France. The 1717-19 St-Pierre and the 1743-48 Ste-Famille retain much of their original decor. Today Île d'Orléans also is known for fruit and vegetable production as well as for handicrafts.
Things to SeeThe Aïeux House