DescriptionIn 1582 Spanish missionaries exploring the Verde Valley recorded that natives were using the copper mines near what is now Jerome. The missionaries' description of the mines was identical to the workings found in 1883 by the United Verde Co. Eugene Jerome of New York agreed to finance the mining project on condition the camp be named for him. In 1886 a smelter arrived by rail from Ash Fork and operations began in earnest.
Once a city with a population of 15,000, Jerome became a virtual ghost town when the United Verde Branch copper mines of the Phelps Dodge Corp. closed in 1953. Since then, shops, galleries, studios and museums, some housed in former brothels and saloons, have been established in the restored town which clings to Cleopatra Hill on the side of Mingus Mountain. Some of the restored homes are open during the Home Tour in May.
A 54-mile scenic stretch of SR 89A begins in Flagstaff and winds its way south through Oak Creek Canyon and ends in Jerome. The steep, narrow road is not recommended for vehicles pulling trailers more than 40 feet long. The nearby mountains are ideal for camping, fishing and hunting.
Visitor InfoJerome Chamber of Commerce 310 Hull Ave. JEROME, AZ 86331. Phone:(928)634-2900
Things to SeeJerome State Historic Park