DescriptionJohnstown was founded by and named for Sir William Johnson, a British general and Superintendent of Indian Affairs during the mid-1700s. Johnstown has been a center of the glove-making industry since its earliest days, as has the adjoining city of Gloversville. Elizabeth Cady Stanton, a pioneer of women's rights, was born in Johnstown in 1815.
Johnstown Battlefield preserves the site of what was probably the Revolutionary War's last battle, fought Oct. 25, 1781, 6 days after Gen. Charles Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown. The Fulton County Court House, on W. Main Street between N. William and N. Melcher streets, was erected in 1772 and is the only Colonial courthouse standing in the state.
Things to SeeJohnson Hall State Historic Site